The inaugural meeting of Norwich Chamber Music (NCM) took place on 28 April 1951 and the first concert was held in the Music Room of The Assembly House, Norwich on 26 May 1951. Benjamin Britten agreed to become President and remained in that position until shortly before his death in 1976.
Most of the concerts were held in The Assembly House until a major fire in that building meant that the concerts of the 1995–1996 and 1996–1997 seasons were divided between Blackfriars Hall and Princes Street Methodist Church. The main series of concerts moved permanently to the JIC Conference Centre auditorium in 1998.
(A history written by our former Chair and now President, Roger Rowe).